Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Richmond Zoo

A few weeks ago I took the kids to visit our very own local Richmond Zoo.  I was told to keep expectations bridled, and so I did.  If any of you have seen the recent movie, We Bought A Zoo, it's reminiscent of that.  It's an LDS family who owns the zoo and lives on the grounds.  What started as just a few animals has grown into a pretty cool little zoo.  

The best part about this zoo is that since it is so small, you get to be really up close to the animals.  No need for binoculars here!  Just a few centimeters of glass separate my sweet little guy from 450 pounds of man-eating carnivores.



I always love the tortoises.


The best exhibit at this zoo is the giraffes.  You can feed them.  Say WHA?!  Where else in the world can you feed a giraffe?  Rex was really hesitant, but I thought it was awesome!




And what trip to the zoo would be complete without a ride on the carousel?  Good thing the zoo wasn't busy because there are only about 10 animals on this thing!


And like a champ, Evelyn spent her zoo experience in her stroller except for the minute I took her out for a photo.  She is seriously the easiest baby alive.


1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love Rex's pose in the second picture. Stud!
You can feed the giraffes at our zoo, too. At ours, you hold out a piece of lettuce and they stick their freakish tongues out and snatch it. Freaks me out.
Cool zoo!