Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rex-man turns 3!

A few days before his birthday, Rex came down with croup (and can I just tell you, this stuff is the devil) :(  I thought there was a chance he would be all better by his b-day so we just waited on pins and needles to see how he was feeling each morning.  The day before his b-day, his fever was gone and he seemed much better.  I thought we were totally in business and I spent the entire day cleaning, cooking, baking, wrapping and getting ready for a party!  Friday morning, the day of his birthday, he woke up with a fever and feeling crummy.  So, plans were cancelled and we had a fun day just the 3 of us.

Josh had a rather flexible schedule on Friday, so we took Rex to Chick-Fil-A for lunch and had a picnic in our backyard.


Then we played all afternoon, Josh took him to the park while I made his birthday cake.  We ordered pizza, got Grandma and Grandpa on Skype and had a party!

 Grandma and Grandpa Garner gave Rex a bike, which he is pumped about.

Aunt Kelsey sent a t-ball set which was also a huge hit.  Despite being a little sick he played with that thing endlessly until bedtime.

We gave him a remote control car, which only moves forward and backward.  He takes his driving duties very seriously.

Rex requested a dinosaur cake



And our main gift to Rex was a swing set (which my parents so generously contributed to) and Josh spent about 8 man hours assembling.  A lot of love went into this gift!  Here is the unveil...

Rex's reaction is priceless


He was a little freaked out to try the slide for the first time, but caught right on.


I cannot believe this little man is 3 years old.  He's getting funnier and easier in some ways, and then more complicated in others.  He's becoming more helpful and more sensitive, which we love.  He's almost always happy and just wants to have a good time (as long as he can be the boss).  He has endless amounts of energy and loves playing outside. One of my favorite characteristics of Rex's personality is that he is NOT shy at all.  He talks, waves, and tells our family's deep dark secrets to just about anyone and everyone.  I know he's going to totally embarrass me one of these days, but for now we'll just enjoy how people can't help but smile when they are around him.  We love you Rex!


4 comments:

Unknown said...

He is SO CUTE!! I am totally jealous of all of his awesome gifts!! What a lucky kid! That dinosaur cake is so awesome... you gotta tell me how you did it. So amazing. And his reaction to the swing set is priceless! SOO cute. Sorry he was feeling sick but it looks like he had so much fun anyway.

Haley said...

I am so glad you had your camera ready for his reaction to the swingset! That is perfect! I think my favorite thing about Rex is he really is always happy! What a delightful kid.

Caitlin said...

Poor Rex doesn't have his normal smile on! But I LOVE his reaction to the swing set. You guys are the best parents ever in his eyes, I'm sure!

Lindsey said...

Such a cute boy! I can't believe he's 3. We need to get him and Cannon together (and us too!)