Friday, April 27, 2012

Backyard Picnic



[Written by Josh]

So Emily got to have a little (much deserved) girls' night out with some friends.  I got to watch the ninos.  Rex was jonesing for a trip to the park, which wasn't happening.  So I made him a deal (he likes deals right now).  In exchange for giving up the park, I would set up a candle-lit picnic in the backyard.  And so, we did a picnic.

During the picnic there were a couple exciting moments.  The first came when our mentally incapacitated dog, Harley, decided to try to lunge forward and steal one of Rex's chicken nuggets.  What he didn't realize that stepping through the citronella candle to achieve his objective was a dumb idea.  He smashed his entire front paw in piping hot wax and wound up nugget-less in the process.  That's a lose-lose scenario.  Fortunately, no damage done and the amazing cleaning powers of a dog's tongue removed the unwanted wax.  On the upside, he wreaks of citronella, so won't be attacked by any mosquitoes for a few days.

After the incident happened Rex said "When I was a widdle doggie, I do dat one time.  It hurt."  I was a tad confused.  I don't recall Rex ever being a dog, nor do I remember him burning himself with wax.  So I asked "When were you a little doggie?"  His response:  "Afore I was a widdle kid."  Very matter of factly, I might add.

The baby got fussy, so I took her inside and started to clean up the picnic.  When I came back outside I found Rex kneeling on the blanket with a banana sitting right in front of him.  It looked like he was praying.  I tiptoed a bit closer and heard:  "and bwess Heavenly Father to help me open this banana.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen."  The little guy had tried to open his banana, but couldn't.  So rather than pitching a fit, he prayed that Heavenly Father would help him!  So proud.  We got the banana open--prayer answered.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

1. I love your backyard.
2. SO CUTE!!!
3. My kids tell me stories all the time about when they were... something they never were. Like, for example, when Kate was a boy. That's interesting. But usually it's when they were mommies, or even babies. But it's stories that never happened. I'm sure it stems from the countless stories we tell them about when they were babies, that they don't remember, which is probably a difficult concept to gather.
4. Again, so cute.

Kim Edwards said...

I love this! Isn't it strange that one always loves a good girls night out, but when you get home and see this it makes you wish you stayed home!