Friday, August 10, 2012

Faith and Smoothies

Rex LOVES Danimals smoothies.  I started getting them for next to nothing when I used to coupon and haven't been able to stop buying them.  He just loves them.  Well, we ran out yesterday and when he wanted one today, we had a funny little learning experience:

Rex: Mom, do we have any more smoothies?
M: Nope buddy, I'll pick some up at the store tomorrow.  Let's pick a different snack.
R: Maybe if I pray, Heavenly Father will bring me some more smoothies.
M: (in an effort to manage expectations)  Probably not, buddy, let's just get some at the store tomorrow.

I hardly got those words out before he had started praying and scolded me for not folding my arms.  He specifically asked for strawberry-kiwi smoothies.  After his prayer he immediately went to the fridge exclaiming, "I hope that worked!"  I flinched as he opened the door knowing he was about to be seriously disappointed.    "What in the heck?" he exclaimed with a look of absolute shock on his cute little face.  Hopefully his faith wasn't shaken too bad.  It provided me the opportunity to talk about how our prayers aren't always answered immediately, but I'm pretty sure that fell on deaf ears.  Ahhh, to be a 3 year old!

Which reminds me, the other day he asked me why he couldn't have 2 mommies.  Laughing I asked him why in the world he would want 2 mommies.  He said, "so in case you get dead, the other mommy can bake me stuff."  I should have been offended that I am that dispensable, but I chose to look at silver lining, which is that he's already showing traits of being a dynamite planner like his mommy.  Just making sure his treat supply won't suffer if I happen to "get dead".  Such a funny little guy.

5 comments:

Haley said...

Oh man, Rex is hilarious. I can totally see his animated disappoinment as he exclaimed, "What in the heck?"

Caitlin said...

Oh that Rex. Love that kid!

Lauren said...

I can't stop laughing. "What in the heck?" Too funny.
And we've had some interesting conversations about "deading" at our house lately, too. Probably because of Andrea's death, but I've gotten some good ones. They're just so nonchalant about it.

Lindsey said...

Those are hilarious stories. I always picture him as a little baby since I haven't seen you guys in forever. Crazy how grown up he is.

And thanks soooo much for letting my brother stay with you guys. He was ever so grateful.

Rachel and Eric said...

OH MY GOSH. THAT is why Lucy is going to marry Rex. We seriously miss that little man.