Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Fun Lesson In Nature

Rex has very little interest in having a pet.  He already has a dog - that he didn't ask for - who he doesn't really love like a little boy should love his dog.  I've tried to entice him a few times into getting a fish, but he never wants to do that either.  This time, I didn't ask first.  I just ordered 5 caterpillars so we could grow butterflies and he LOVED it!  They were the perfect "first pet" for Rex.


 Here is Rex with the caterpillars


The caterpillars eat and eat and eat (just like the story) and get super fat really quickly.  Then they climb to the top of the cup and make a cocoon.  In about 5 days, they came out of their cocoons.


Then we fed them sugar water and oranges and watched them for a few days before letting them go in our back yard.


2 comments:

Rachel and Eric said...

Since I never update my blog I just figure that no one else does, but thank goodness you do! So, fun mom alert! I can't believe you ordered caterpillars! Do you think they ship to Korea? Was it hard? Cause I'm kind of worried we would kill the little things.

Josh said...

They are pretty resilient. You literally just open the box and put them on a shelf. There is food in the bottom of the jar they come in. The only thing you have to do is transfer them to the basket once they've turned into cocoons.