Thursday, May 2, 2013

Color Me Rad 5K

My entire life, I've absolutely HATED running.  I remember in elementary school we had to run "the mile" twice a year, each year bringing a level of anxiety no school-aged child should have to face.  I huffed and puffed through each run feeling like my lungs and heart were going to burst.  I always attributed it to the fact that I had a bum heart when I was born.  I had open heart surgery at 6 months old to correct the problems and I was supposedly "normal", but I never believed I would or could run.

Fast forward to a year ago.  After having Evelyn I bought a nice pair of running shoes and took to the beautiful running trails in our neighborhood in NC.  It was really hard, but soon I found that I was improving.  This winter I signed Josh and I up for the Color Me Rad race so I would have something to help me keep running. It took a couple months, but being able to run a 5K (and not walk) was such a great feeling.  Plus, they throw colored cornstarch at you throughout the race.  How fun is that?  Rex thought we were pretty much the coolest parents ever.

Now, I've decided I actually like running!  Who would have thought?!  Bring on a 10K!



3 comments:

Lauren said...

Besides the heart surgery part (I have no excuse), I've always felt the same way about running. But I'm also a convert. It's truly been a spiritual and emotion experience for me. I don't think running is for everyone and I wouldn't push anyone into it, but I see now why people love it.
Way to go! A 5K is no small feat! And, I think you guys are cool parents, too!

Haley said...

I did a 5k in November and there was something about being surrounded by all of those active, healthy people that was so stinking fun! I've never enjoyed running either, but that environment made it really fun.

huggin said...

I wish we had met earlier in life... because I think our childhood selves would have been best friends. I hated those runs with a passion. But good for you for finding joy in running!!